Featured

["Featured"][slideshow]

Company Ink Records - Sound In The Signals Interview

I recently had the chance to interview Company Ink Records. Click READ MORE to check out the interview!

First off thanks for the interview

Company Ink Records: No problem. This is the first time I’ve done something like this, so thanks for the interest in what I’ve been up to!

Can you tell me how Company Ink Records got started and what made you want to start a label?

Like a lot of kids, I grew up in New Jersey playing in a band with the dream of one day becoming a rock star. At the time, Drive Thru Records was on top of the world with an unbelievably consistent stream of incredible releases. My band and I wanted nothing more than to be a Drive Thru artist, and through our semi-successful attempts at getting noticed, I got to meet Rich Reines (owner of Drive Thru). As I got older and reality began to set in, I developed a growing interest in the music business as a whole and went to college to major in music industry. I work full time in music distribution now but I still wanted a means to work more closely with the music that I grew up with. The rest is really just a series of lucky circumstances, and sowing seeds that were planted over the years. I don’t quite think I deserve to be called a “label” just yet. I’m just dipping my toe into working with developing artists, and for now I’m just extremely grateful for the opportunities I’ve been given with these bigger releases.

You’ve pressed New Found Glory’s Nothing Gold Can Stay and recently pressed Rufio’s Perhaps, I Suppose… which are both very well like albums. How do you decide what to press?

Company Ink is an extremely personal outlet for me. Both records were significant to me as I was growing up. Bands like New Found Glory, Rufio, Blink 182, and Green Day influenced the way I dressed, the way I spoke, and the way I carried myself in general. Of course a lot of things have to fall into place with the rights holders of these albums to be able to reissue them on vinyl, but I was extremely fortunate that I was able to work with these two records because they were at the top of my list. I’ve said from the beginning of Company Ink, I don’t have much of an interest in reissuing something unless it means, or meant something to me. I don’t make my living with this at this point, so I don’t want to compromise that mentality.

Can you give me the rundown of how the process goes from deciding you’d like to press an album to actually having that album pressed and available in your store and various retailers?

Between my full time job and Company Ink, I’ve overseen the production of hundreds of records. I can say no two processes are alike. Essentially it starts with a contractual agreement with an artist or label, a creative packaging concept, manufacturing, and a solid distribution arrangement. Depending on the hiccups that can occur at any of those stages, the entire process can take months. One principle I’ve stood by is to never get ahead of myself. I’m rather tight lipped about what I’m working on and I think that has helped the flow of things stay as orderly as possible.

The Rufio album has a Lost Boy Edition inspired by the Rufio character from Hook. I’ve heard nothing but high praise about the design and thought that went into it. What made you decide on creating an album that paid homage to the Hook character and were you surprised at how many people instantly praised it?

With both of these records, I wanted to create a package that I would be stoked about if I purchased it from someone else. It’s a bit of a cliché, but with me…I am literally my target audience. So it was really just a matter of thinking, “what I would want if I was asked to pay $18 bucks for a record?” “Perhaps” hasn’t been pressed before, so I wanted people to take notice, and I wanted the guys in Rufio to be glad that I was the “label” to release this. The lost boys thing was something I thought of to make this unlike any other record aesthetically, and thematically it was just too perfect. I am extremely proud of how they came out. They were obviously rather pricey, but I’d much rather have a quality product with some interesting twists to it than a standard package and a huge profit. That’s what I want people to think of when they think of Company Ink.

One thing your label has done that has also received high praise is pressing albums without pre-orders. With pre-orders often riddled with so many delays what made you decide to have the product available without doing pre-orders?

I understand the necessity for certain labels to do pre-orders, whether it is a financial issue or as a ploy to drum up early interest…but since I financially didn’t have to do a pre-order, I didn’t. As of now I don’t have any plans to launch pre-orders on any future releases. Like I said, I am just another vinyl collector. No one likes to spend money today to get a record in a year. I’ve been that guy who paid $40 bucks for something, waited months and eventually got refunded for it. I definitely take pride in what I’m starting with Company Ink, so I want my fellow collectors to trust me. If I don’t have the money to press a licensed record without pre-orders, I really have no business pressing it in the first place.

You stated on your site you’d like to release music from current bands at some point in time. What types of artists would you be most interested in signing?

I’m really drawn to a few things with current artists; bands that are original, self-starters, and most importantly decent human beings. I’m not in a position to exploit a bunch of talented assholes who say they are the second coming of Brand New. I’m working with a few bands now that fit this mold. I’m excited to see what we can do as I continue to grow.

What is one album that hasn’t been pressed on vinyl that you think should get the vinyl treatment?

Everything that’s on that list I’m working on releasing.

I guess that about wraps it up. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. Do you have anything else you’d like to add?

This seems like the typical way to end an interview, but I still want to sincerely thank everyone who purchased a copy of either Nothing Gold Can Stay or Perhaps, I Suppose. To have my name associated with these bands even in such a minor way is incredibly humbling, and without the support of other fans I wouldn’t have to motivation to keep this up. Luckily, I have every intention to keep building Company Ink and I’m excited to see what the future holds.

No comments: