Featured

["Featured"][slideshow]

Micah Aza - Interview

Click READ MORE to check out my interview with Micah Aza.

First off thanks for the interview
Thank you, I’m pumped to be doing it

You just released your new instrumental album Micah And The World. Can you tell me a little about the recording process of the album what equipment did you use? Is there anything new you tried on the album you hadn’t previously done on prior production work?
I use a turntable and an mpc2000xl. No computer at all I don’t even own one. So the process is very low budget and simple. I like to keep it that way. This album was made in a little over one week. Most of the albums that I have put out I did that way.

This album for the most part has a really laid back vibe. This seems like a really good project for driving around to. Was that kind for what you were going for with this project?
No but I think most all of my music seems to have that feel.

“N.C.” is probably one of my favorite instrumentals off the album. Can you walk me through that particular song and how it came together?
Well I’m originally from North Carolina so that’s what the N.C. stands for. I took one of my favorite 45's and chopped it all up. Chopped a break apart and replayed it and that’s what I ended up with.

The album is out what are you plans to support the album. Will there be music videos, live shows, etc…?
Yea I have a few people working on some videos right now. I DJ for Fistfam and sometimes I DJ a set of old really funky 45's.

Who are a few DJ’s/producers/artist that really inspire you?
large professor, Pete rock, diamond d, Buckwild, T-Ray, DJ Premier, Prince Paul, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, No ID, Jay Dilla, and Madlib.

What got you interest in becoming a producer?
I got really into collecting old records and DJing and I was always just way more into beats and who sampled what from who. Then the homie lent me an akai s20 in like 1998 or so. That’s when I started making beats.

You did the Fistfam album which is 100% your production. Can you tell me a little about that project and how it came together?
Well we all are from the same small town in North Carolina. I had known al lover and Gus Cutty since we were little kids. Then they all moved out here to San Francisco where I have been living since 1996. So I just started giving them beats when they moved out to SF and we made a bunch of songs. I'm also now the fistfams SF DJ.

I guess that about wraps it up. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. Do you have any closing comments you’d like to make?
Thanks to you guys for the interview and everyone that’s ever supported me and inspired me

1 comment: